April 23-24, 2020 | Hotel Boulderado, Boulder, CO
This workshop will utilize art, music, drama, and dance as transformational experiences for participants. Transformational Caritas Healing Art will focus on deepening the power of creativity for self-care, self -love, inner witnessing, presence, self-compassion and radical empathy for oneself. This transformational journey will deepen caring literacy to Embody Caritas as a way of Being.
Guided exercises will create an awareness of self in a new way moving participants from ordinary awareness to extraordinary awareness. Activities that increase awareness of self in relationship will help to create communitas with opportunities to share stories and life experiences. Art activities will promote self-expression.
Caring Science and Caritas Consciousness, along with the balance of yin and yang, will inspire and shift the old ways of being, which are focused on technical skills and tasks-oriented nursing practice, towards a deeply sensitive and compassionate way of caring. Transpersonal knowing, presence, authenticity, loving-kindness, and belonging allowing nurses and healthcare providers to be and become more caring literate.
Day 1 — Thursday, April 23, 2020 | 9am-4pm (lunch on own)
Learners will be able to:
- Explore multiple meanings and diverse practices of Caritas for self and other
- Define and participate in authentic presence, loving kindness, and radical empathy
- Explore multiple ways of knowing in nursing and the expressive arts
- Explore meaning and creation of a Caring-Healing Environment based in trust and safety
SPECIFIC LEARNING ACTIVITIES
- Group exercises and expressive Healing Arts and Movements will explore the multiple meanings and diverse practices of Caritas for self and other.
- Group discussion, presencing exercises and meditative group exercises and guided imagery will explore the different definitions and meanings of presence, loving-kindness, and radical empathy in Caring Science and nursing.
- Large and small group discussion to explore self-as-environment and exploring what is meant in Caring Science by the concept of caring healing environment.
- Guided imagery will offer a personal learning exercise to explore the practice of self-love, self-compassion and self-awareness.
Day 2 — Friday, April 24, 2020 | 9am-1pm
Learners will be able to:
- Deepen awareness of self and other through caring-healing micro-practices
- Utilize the arts to express the transformational expression of caritas
Discussion and dialogue and individual and group exercises and expressive Healing Arts and Movements will explore the multiple meanings and diverse practices of Caritas for self and other.
Share this Event
AHNA CNE Program
DISCLOSURE FOR LEARNERS
Title of the Course: Transformational Caritas Healing Art
Criteria for Successful Completion: Attendance and active participation to both days of the course. Completion of Participant Evaluation Form.
Conflict of Interest: This educational activity does not include any content that relates to the products and/or services of a commercial interest that would create a conflict of interest.
Commercial Support: There is no commercial support being received for this event.
Official Pre-Approval Statement: This activity has been submitted to the American Holistic Nurses Association for approval to award contact hours. The American Holistic Nurses Association is accredited as an approver of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
AHNA Non-endorsement of Modality Statement: Approval for contact hours through the American Holistic Nurses Association is based on an assessment of the educational merit of this program and does not constitute endorsement of the use of any specific modality in the care of clients.
About Mary Rockwood Lane, PhD, RN, FAAN
Dr. Lane is a professor, painter, nurse, caritas life coach and social activist who has co-authored six books on art, spirituality, wisdom traditions and healing. She discovered the power of art when she painted herself out of a severe depression. Art transformed her life. Through what she learned from her journey, Mary became the co-founder and director emeritus of the UF Health Arts in Medicine program at the University of Florida. She created the first artist-in-residence program in health care in the United States. Currently, she is teaching Creativity and Spirituality in Healthcare, as Faculty in UF College of Nursing.
She has become a Global Ambassador of Caring Science working closely with the world famous nursing leader, Dr. Jean Watson. Mary is an international speaker and faculty with the Watson Caring Science Institute. In 2020, she speaks at the Middle Eastern Nurses & Partners Uniting in Human Caring as the Path to Peace as Social Activism. For more information, please visit her websites healingwiththearts.com and maryrockwoodlane.com.
General Registration: $175
WCSI Faculty Registration: $150
Complete the registration form at the bottom of the page to register.
Location & Hotel Accommodations
2115 13th Street
Boulder, Colorado 80302
- Transformational Caritas Healing Art
April 23, 2020 - April 24, 2020
9:00 am - 1:00 pm