WCSI Fact Sheet
To restore the profound nature of caring-healing within a unitary caring science framework; in stewardship to the current health care system worldwide, to retain and nurture its most precious resource, caring professional nurses and trans-disciplinary care team members.
To deepen and expand Caring Science, the philosophies, theories, ethics and practices of Human Caring, originated by Distinguished Professor Jean Watson.
Goals & Objectives
- Transform the dominant model of medical science to a model of Caring Science by reintroducing the ethic, philosophy and diverse practices of caring and Love (Caritas), necessary for healing.
- Deepen the authentic Caring-Healing relationships between caregiver and patient/family, to restore Love and compassion as the ethical, values foundation of healthcare.
- Translate the model of Caring-Healing/Caritas into fully integrated trans-disciplinary programs and services to help transform healthcare one nurse / one caregiver / one educator / one leader / one system at a time.
- Ensure caring and healing for the public, improve nurse and care provider retention in healthcare settings, enhance patient care outcomes, promote safe practices, and decrease costs to the system.
The Watson Caring Science Institute is an autonomous, USA nonprofit organization operating under the 501(c)(3), tax-exempt status ID #26-0803334.
Its Board of Directors has oversight of the Institute’s budget.
The Watson Caring Science Institute depends on educational, teaching-consulting programs nationally/globally; and intentional Caritas learning materials and teaching items available through the Caring Store, combined with the generosity of individuals, healthcare systems, professional organizations, the business community and foundations to support its work. Donations are tax-deductible.Donate
Barbara B. Brewer, PhD, RN, MALS, MBA, FAAN
The University of Arizona, College of Nursing
Robert Browning, PhD (h.c,)
Co- Healthcare Director & Master Trainer, HeartMath
Co-Vice President, Council Director, Pathways to Peace
Adjunct Faculty, University of Colorado College of Nursing
Karen Drenkard, PhD, RN, NEA-bc, FAAN
Sr Vice President, Chief Clinical and Nursing Officer
O’Neil Center / GetWellNetwork
7700 Old Georgetown Road, 4th Floor
Bethesda, MD 20814
M. Brooks Turkel
Chief Executive Officer
Commonwealth Health Regional Hospital of Scranton
Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-bc, FAAN
Founder / Executive Director, Watson Caring Science Institute
Distinguished Professor & Endowed Chair in Caring Science
University of Colorado Denver, College of Nursing
2441 Seventh Street
Boulder, CO 80304
Advisory Board Members
Founding Board Members
Jeremy Geffen, MD (deceased)
Ronald Lesinski, President
Global Humanitarian Citizens of WCSI
- Dr. Earl Bakken — inventor of first internal cardiac pacemaker in the world; founder of Medtronic and dedicated to spiritual healing and whole person medicine, healthcare for the 21st century.
- Mrs. Betty Moore — founder of Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation which has supported nursing projects and University Colleges of Nursing throughout California, making a world-wide impact in advancing human caring through nursing.
Dr. Jean Watson and Watson Caring Science Institute is dedicated to create, conduct and sponsor Caring Science/Caritas research, education, training, and support to serve national/global generations of healthcare professionals worldwide.
Watson Caring Science Scholars – Postdoctoral Study Program –This is a 1 year customized advanced personal study program with Dr. Watson, exploring new dimensions of caring science as sacred science; the underlying ontological-ethical-epistemological-methodological, praxis directions for a era of health, healing and well-being for humankind. Read more.
The International Caritas Consortium, originated by Dr. Watson in 2004, enables the circle of Caritas colleagues, clinical agencies, and academic programs to come together once a year, to showcase how models of Caring Science are implemented in clinical settings in USA; to share new transformative practice initiatives, research, and support the expansion of authentic caring-healing processes and relationships for staff, practitioners, patients/families and communities. Read more.
The Caritas Coach Education Program® (CCEP) is a unique, six-month program offered by the Watson Caring Science Institute. Through a formal application process, a new cohort of students is admitted to the program every April and October each year. Read more.
Jean Watson Caring Science Speaker/Consultant Circle includes Dr. Watson and a distinguished circle of Caring Science Faculty Associates and Colleagues providing keynotes, workshops, and presentations that inform and educate others in Caring Science; how to develop and integrate authentic professional caring theory-guided models; restore the under-developed ethical values of Love and Compassion back into healthcare. Contact Jean Watson at email@example.com.
- Caritas HeartMath Leadership Program launched June, 2009 in partnership with HeartMath, Inc.
- National WCSI Caring Science Affiliate Program launched in 2010
- Global Conferences – Global Caritas Consortia; e.g. Japan, Jordan, South Africa, China, Others – TBD – i.e. South America
- Global Caring Science Projects/Programs – customized to meet needs of country/system
The Watson Caritas Patient Score© (WCPS) instrument was introduced by Watson and WCSI in 2009 with Caring Science research projects; it has now expanded to include a national multi-site and global use research initiative, which offers comprehensive benchmarking capabilities for hospitals. We are pleased to partner with Dr. Barbara Brewer as Research Director to advance this initiative across the US and worldwide. The WCPS® has been translated into Hebrew, Arabic, Spanish, French, and Italian. Read more.
WCSI Visionary Caring Science/Caritas Award for Transformation of Healthcare
July, 2008 Visionary Caring Science Award Presentation: Hawaii. Dr. Earl Bakken, Founder, Medtronic, inventor of the 1st internal cardiac pacemaker and visionary leader in mind/body/spirit medicine and wholeness programs.
April, 2009 Award Presentation: Charleston, SC. Dr. Anne Boykin, Dean of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University, a visionary leader, author, and pioneer for establishing the longest running Academic Educational Model of Caring Science in the world.
October, 2012 Award presentation: Atlantic City, NJ. Barbara Hope and Don Gaiti, founding board members and directors of WCSI: 2007 – 2012.
November, 2012 Visionary Award presentation: Winter Haven Hospital, Florida Mary Jo Schreiber, CNO and Lance Anastasio, CEO for their sustaining leadership as a caring science hospital.
April, 2014 Awarded Honorary Doctorate in Caring Science as Sacred Science to Robert Browning, Master Teacher of HeartMath.
October, 2015 Awarded Honorary Doctorate in Caring Science as Sacred Science to Jim D’Alfonso, leader in Caring Science throughout his career.