Become a Watson Caring Science Affiliate®
Jean Watson Ph.D., RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, LL (AAN) Founder /Director Watson Caring Science Institute
Watson’s Caring Science is a living theory, ever evolving as nursing practice evolves.
Hello and welcome to Watson Caring Science Institute’s (WCSI) Affiliation program. First and foremost, we are here to support nurses, and our first responsibility is to uphold and uplift the profession. We do this because nurses are critically important to the health and healing of all people, including the nurses themselves, and the profession. The discipline of nursing deserves well designed, and well executed support. We also do this because, as Jean Watson says, “nursing is the paradigm exemplar of caring, the most mature healing practice in the world.”
WCSI has developed a distinctive, organizational model based on Dr Jean Watson’s Caring Science (also known as Unitary Caring Science). Dr Watson and WCSI Faculty experts, researchers and scholars have worked with nurses and other health care leaders all over the world to develop these indicators for our Affiliation program that embraces humanistic values. These indicators serve as a foundation for leaders and organizations to ‘live-out’ and showcase the act of caring in an authentic and meaningful way.
The aim of being an Affiliate with Watson’s Caring Science is that it will lead to a meaningful organizational cultural transformation. WCSI current Affiliates have shared examples of how their adoption of Watson’s Caring Science as their professional practice model can:
- improve patient quality care outcomes
- improve staff care
- create authentic healing environments
- reduce staff turnover
- support Magnet designation/exemplars
- ESG — aligns with Environmental, Social and Governance sustainability
The current healthcare model is awakening to the value of incorporating inner healing, emotional and mental health. This evolving view for humankind returns us to the heart of our humanity; it invites and requires practices to sustain human caring for humanity and the planet for our collective well-being. We appreciate your interest in Watson Caring Science Affiliation.
"By integrating the WCSI ethos of Caring Science into everything we do shows we are committed to providing outstanding caring science for patients, family and staff."
Watson Caring Science Affiliate® / Distinguished Affiliate®
We have identified two levels of designation: Affiliate, and Distinguished Affiliate. Both levels showcase and celebrate a commitment to Watson’s Caring Science, to broaden a caring healing environment for staff, patients and families, organizational culture, and communities.
- Affiliation – demonstrating the required indicators
- Distinguished Affiliation – for more advanced organizations; demonstrating required plus additional exemplary indicators.
Both Affiliate & Distinguished Affiliate organizations will demonstrate commitment to Watson’s Caring Science using the indicators described under four categories: Legacy/Leadership, Education, Praxis & Research. Affiliate leaders are encouraged to disseminate their Watson Caring Science practice model and outcomes through scholarly publications, research, and international workshops and conferences, thereby contributing to the nursing field.
“So glad Magnet highlighted our Watson Caring Science Integration as one of our 7 exemplars!”
Watson Caring Science Affiliate® Required Indicators
"Our Shared Leadership Councils have chosen the Theory of Caring Science to guide our professional practice. Every Cedars-Sinai nurse is a Caritas nurse."
Privileges and Benefits for Watson Caring Science Affiliates®
Fees & Application
- To apply, please reach out to Dr. Watson in the first instance to WCSI indicating your commitment. Jean Watson: email@example.com
Thereafter, Dianne Reid, WCSI Program Enrichment Director will act as your main point of contact. Dianne Reid: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will work with you to ensure you have the right processes in place to succeed.
- Once successful, WCSI will create joint press info and supply you with branding, logos and other ‘welcome basket items.’
- Once designated, Affiliates will be asked to submit a ‘light touch’ Annual Report. This is an opportunity to share your successes with the WCSI community.
- The fee for Affiliation is between $10,000 – $35,000 per year with a 3- year commitment to ensure best practice is truly integrated.
THE 10 CARITAS PROCESSES®
1. EMBRACE altruistic values and practice of loving-kindness, compassion and equanimity with self and others.
2. INSPIRE Being authentically present, enabling faith/hope/belief system, honoring subjective inner, lifeworld of self/others.
3. TRUST Being sensitive to self and others by cultivating own spiritual practices; beyond ego-self to transpersonal presence.
4. NURTURE Developing and sustaining loving, trusting-caring relationships.
5. FORGIVE Allowing for expression of positive and negative feelings – authentically listening to another person’s story.
6. DEEPEN Creatively problem-solving, solution–seeking through a caring process; full use of self and artistry of caring-healing practices via use of all ways of knowing / being / doing / becoming.
7. BALANCE Engaging in transpersonal teaching and learning within context of caring relationship; staying within other’s frame of reference-shift toward coaching model for expanded health/wellness.
8. CO-CREATE Creating a healing environment at all levels; subtle environment for energetic authentic caring presence.
9. MINSTER Reverentially assisting with basic needs as sacred acts, touching mindbodyspirit of other; sustaining human dignity.
10. OPEN Opening to spiritual, mystery, unknowns – allowing for miracles.
Share this Page