Caring Science Measurement Tools & Research
Watson Caritas Patient Score® (WCPS)
The Watson Caritas Patient Score® (WCPS) is a reliable and valid instrument used in hospitals and systems throughout the United States (and other parts of the world) to assess patient perspectives of caring practices of hospital staff. Other versions of the instrument are available to assess self-caring, Caritas leadership, and caring practices of colleagues and peers.
These tools are available for download for individuals only $25 each. There is no limit to times used per participant/subject. Please complete permission request form below. If you are a for-profit organization wishing to use the tools please contact Julie Watson, Executive Director: email@example.com
Downloads are free for active members.
The instrument contains five critical caring questions, to assess authentic human caring practices. The items are derived from the 10 Caritas Processes® of Watson’s Human Caring Theory. The WCPS® is a 7 point Likert scale where individuals who complete the survey are asked to rate the frequency from never to always of caring practices they have experienced. Caring practices include:
- providing care with loving kindness
- having helping and trusting relationships
- creating caring environments
- meeting basic needs with dignity, and
- valuing the patient’s personal beliefs and faith.
BACKGROUND & RATIONALE
PURPOSE & OBJECTIVES
The purposes of this study are to:
- apply the WCPS® 5 item instrument in a group of acute care institutions using a common “Caring Science” professional practice model
- build an accurate and reliable national comparative database on caring and related outcome variables
- use the data on caring for ongoing performance improvement and clinical investigations
- improve the validity and reliability of the WCPS®
- build a user-generated reporting tool and evaluate its utility to the end user
- appraise the value of the database and
- evaluate relationships among patient perceptions of a caring environment and patient safety and satisfaction indicators.
Using Press Ganey Now?
If your hospital currently uses the Press Ganey survey, please contact Dr. Watson directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to facilitate your request for use of Watson Caritas Patient Score (WCPS) instrument.
Please share your results of the outcome of your research using our tools. This will help us to collect Caring Science research and further the field of knowledge in this area for others.
Please send your results to email@example.com.